Sunday, October 30, 2011

Gourmet Crock Potter

I never really intended for this blog to be so fibromyalgia-heavy, but the change in season brings an onslaught of symptoms, so it's what's on my mind most.  And while I may not often be able to stand for more than 5-20 minutes, I've learned I can still create some tasty dinners through the magic of the crock pot.

When I lived alone, I was hesitant to use it much because I didn't want to eat the same meal 4-8 times in a row.  However, now that I get to share dinner (and dinner-duty) on a regular basis, I'm discovering how wonderful this great little invention is.

Tonight's menu: Pork Ribs.  Yumm!  This will be my first ever attempt at ribs, but my uncle assures me that I can't mess it up.  Here's the instructions:  (I guess for those used to cooking more often, this might also be termed a recipe.)
  • Put an empty bowl upside down in the bottom of the crock pot.  (This is to keep the ribs out of the juices while cooking.)
  • Cut the ribs into pieces that will fit inside the crock pot.  (I quartered a full rack.)
  • Put your favorite spices or dry rub on the ribs.
  • Put the ribs inside the crock pot, on top of the bowl, making sure they won't land in the juices.
  • Cook on low 6-8 hours.
  • Heat up your favorite barbeque sauce to serve with the fall-off-the-bone ribs.

And now my homage to the crock pot.


Oh, dear crock pot
You make my life great
You cook dinner for me
And Kyle, my mate

You've been through a lot
In your thirty plus years
Cooking all sorts of things
From stew to pig's ears

Though harshly clothed
In 70's orange and brown
You may be ugly
But don't let that get you down

 
Your usefulness far exceeds
Any sacrifice of beauty
And you never hesitate
To fulfill your duty

So here's to you
Working late on a Sunday
I love you so much
That I'll see you again Monday.


Thanks to Uncle Jeff for the recipe.
Thanks to mom and dad for letting me inherit your wedding gift, the crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment