Thursday, November 3, 2011

Maggie and Me--Who's Who?

Some people say that dogs resemble their owners.  Why does this happen?  I get the idea that someone who stays fit probably keeps their dog fit; someone who overeats may treat their dogs to unlimited food and treats.  But how do they take on our personalities?  What about our medical issues?  Can it really just be coincidence?

So, I got Maggie as an 8-week-old puppy over six years ago.  She was my first dog ever.  It was love at first sight, at least for me.  She's a little shy and tentative when it comes to new people.  Hmm...I've always been that way.  As much as my job forces me to be social and interact with many people, when you boil it down, I'm about as introverted as they come.  Sure I can fake it for awhile, but I'd much rather be with the ones I love than meeting new people.

Maggie as a puppy!
It's no surprise to you (if you've read more than one post or even just the blog info) that I deal with chronic pain and have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  Has anyone ever heard of doggie fibromyalgia?  I think Maggie might have it.  A few years ago she started limping after a day at the park.  Then I noticed that when the weather started changing she started limping more.  Sympathy pains?  I took her to the vet and while they did x-rays and tests of all kinds, they couldn't find any physical reason for her pain, though by her limping it was obvious.  Read the previous sentence and replace the word "vet" with "doctors" and it's the same story of my diagnosis.  With some supplements and rest, she feels better most of the time, but as the weather changes, I again notice my baby girl seems to feel how I feel.

Finally, she's incredibly empathic.  I've always been this way.  I tend to read people's emotions without even trying.  It's like they exude energy that gets translated to me and I just want to help.  She's the same way.  Between my pain and depression struggles, my emotions tend to be all over the place.  Most days she's kind of aloof.  She does her own thing, seeks out attention when she wants it, but won't let you pet her just because you want to.  However, when I'm sad or in pain, she's always right there with her head in my lap.  It's almost as if she's saying "It's okay mama, just pet me some and you will feel better."


I love this girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment